Thanks everyone who participated in the development of the SmartBoy!
WE built the SmartBoy. YOU can make it great.
The SmartBoy Development Kit attaches to Android smartphones - turning the phone into a handheld gaming device. It will be compatible with Game Boy and Game Boy Color cartridges. Included in the kit is an open source serial app and firmware, which will enable developers of all kinds to advance Hyperkin's current build toward a retail-ready model.
Hyperkin is offering a royalty percentage - of retail-ready SmartBoy units sold - to anyone that can improve the SmartBoy's serial app and firmware. Updates and builds of the serial app and firmware can be uploaded to a dedicated Hyperkin Lab forum. Hyperkin Lab is dedicated to product testing and development.
- Open source serial app and firmware
- Compatible with GB,GBC and GBA* cartridges
- Classic handheld-style tactile button set
- Designed for Android smartphones
- Double-sided micro USB port
Specs for Devs:
- Atmel 90USB646
- NTSC/PAL cart compatible
- Phone Size: 5in-6in
- SmartBoy Serial App Access for Mounting and Controller mapping
- 4.4.4 Android KitKat OTG minimum OS requirement**
- For any other questions regarding development please contact email@example.com
*GBA function is experimental
** Note 4&5 compatibility may vary.